Sunday, February 7, 2010

February 200K - Check.



Friends, meet Zeke. He's my commuter bike. I'll be taking him today because of the road surfaces. A week ago, I saw on the 10 day forecast that Saturday February 6th would be sunny and 46 degrees. I immediately called my boss and took a vacation day. It would be a really good day to ride. Then the forecast began changing. And each day the forecast got a little worse. It still remained uncertain up to last night whether or not I could take Black Beauty my road bike. I agonized all night...

{Agonized? Don't you think that's a little strong?}
[Hey, this is my blog. Go back to your room.]


Sorry, that's one of my personalities. He's moderate, sensible Miles. The one who is always criticizing my behavior and especially my word choice as being too extreme. My wife, and most of my friends like him better than me. Too bad, I'm the REAL Miles.

{Real Miles, Smeal Miles. Agonized IS too extreme. How about "deliberated"? I deliberated all night...}
[I would use that if I had deliberated. But I didn't. I agonized. Now go back to your room. I'll call you if I ever get a job in the diplomatic corps.]


Where was I? Oh. I agonized all night about which bike to take. Zeke is great for commuting. Especially in the winter. He has 26 X 2.125 tires which have a moderately aggressive tread and two rows of steel studs. However, all that safety comes at a cost. He's slow and I have to work harder pedaling.

In fact, the longest ride I've ever taken him on is about 60 miles. This will be more than twice that. If the roads are clear enough, I'd rather ride Black Beauty. Her tires are only 23mm wide and smooth for fast rolling. Jim Rasor said this would be a Magic Snow. But 126 miles on slippery surfaces would be too much for Black Beauty. She's a little skittish when the road surface is poor.

Zeke is my "any road" bike. Better safe than sorry. I just hope I don't poop out before we get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment