Wednesday, December 16, 2009

At Benton I decided to stop and get some hot water. It's not a control stop for the ride but my insulated bottles, which had performed well all day, had slowly allowed my hydration rations to turn to slush. It was getting difficult to drink. I had to squeeze the bottles with both hands (leaving no hands for the handlebars), and if I drank too quickly, I got "brain freeze". I mixed a large cup of hot water into both insulated bottles, topped them off with HEED and moved toward Thompsonville. A few miles later, I need to pee again (surprising how the cold makes that happen). You think I would have thought of that in Benton (my mother's voice in my head said so), but I didn't. Now I needed a stretch of road with no traffic. My survival theory is this: if you're ever in a survival situation, and there's no one around, but you need help, just stop and pee. It's amazing how much traffic you can generate by just that one act. Oh yea, I found my sense of humor. It wasn't lost just frozen and it has thawed a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment