Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tools of the trade: A downloaded copy of the route cue sheet, morning coffee, and all the nutritional stuff to make this dream come true: Hammer HEED, Hammer Perpetuem, Hammer Gel, insulated bottles and enough flasks to feed a hard riding cyclist (or me as the case may be). I only have two insulated bottles, but my plan is to keep the regular bottle in the back pocket of my jacket along with two "hot hands" heat pads to keep it from freezing. That way I should have a liquid source of hydration and will be able to limit the time spent building a fire and thawing snow for water to drink. I will keep two flasks of nutrition (one Hammer Gel, one Hammer Pertpetuem) on the bike in holsters so that I can grab them easily with a gloved hand, and rotate them with flasks in my jersey pocket under my jacket. I'm assuming that they will stay thawed by my body heat. We'll see. The next 8 or 9 hours will tell whether or not I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment