Sunday, March 28, 2010



Shortly after leaving Edwardsville, 7 of us formed a paceline to cycle more efficiently. King Louie became our self-appointed leader. Keeping the line tight and directing the pace and flow of a pace-line is not for everyone. Only someone born to leadership is qualified. He was the only one. At first it was amusing to me and I obeyed the commands like the rag doll compliant riders around me. However, after about 30 miles, it became a little annoying. (I don't have a middle name, but if I did, it wouldn't be compliant.)

After a rider dropped, unable to keep up the pace, King Louie's remark was, "Well, there'll be some sorting out in this wind." I wondered if they were taking bets on how long it would be until I was "sorted out" and dropped as well. When a rider suggested that it would be more efficient to slow the pace a little and keep all the riders intact, King Louie would have none of it.

I dropped back and two riders dropped with me. King Louie's kingdom fell from 7 to 3 pretty quickly. Hail to the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment