Sunday, April 11, 2010

The 300 Kilometer Brevet in Edwardsville



An early morning start heads the riders down the road and out of town. One of those red lights is on the bike of Johnny Bertrand. Although you might not know him, most of these riders do. My RUSA number is 5169. Numbers are assigned sequentially as riders join. His number is 2. In fact, he is a founding member of RUSA. (And he translated all the rules and documents for us from French to English. Not bad for a Kentucky boy.)

Today I'm not going to work on my skills in the paceline - I'm going to work on my laugh lines. Which reminds me that Mick Jagger once said that he wasn't wrinkled, those were laugh lines. To which David Bowie replied, "Nothing is that f#@*ing funny!" (Those under 30 can google Mick Jagger and David Bowie to find out who they are.)

My 200 kilometer posting was too grouchy, according to some. In fact, Mike McKee's rebuke included the reminder to gratefulness, "At least you were riding your bike!" He is right. At least I'm riding my bike. Today, I'll try to have fun, and not worry about keeping up. I have about 13 hours to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment