Friday, January 15, 2010

RUSA Logo

R-12 Award


Today I'm going to do a second ride on my permanent route. I recently began thinking...what if the pictures I post on the world wide web should contain visual information which caused me to be disqualified on a particular ride? For instance, the rules state that one tail light should always be in the steady mode during low light conditions. What if a picture showed NO tail light. A viewer would be able to deduce that my steady light was out, or was on the flashing mode. Either way, a violation. Now what if it was discovered AFTER the month was past? I'd be out of luck! I'd have to start over.

You may say, "Miles, the odds of that happening are awfully small!" Sure, so are the odds of winning the lottery, but it's done every few weeks. So in keeping with the self-sufficiency ethos of randonneuring (carrying duplicate items of the important stuff), I decided that doing two rides each month would help protect me in case I was disqualified from a ride for any reason. Redundancy is our friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment